Virology Education Privacy Statement
At Virology Education, we are committed to protect and respect your privacy in compliance with EU- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016/679, dated April 27th 2016. This privacy statement clarifies when and why we collect personal information, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. This Privacy Statement applies to the use of our services. It also applies to individuals seeking employment at Virology Education.
The following statements describe what we are doing with your data, how long we store it so you are fully informed.
Data Controller Contact
Phone: +31 (0)30 230 7140
Point of Contact: Zara Mathew (email@example.com)
Data Protection Officer
Phone: +31 (0)30 230 7140
Why are we processing your personal data?
We ask for your personal data when you make use of our services (eg: facilitate your registration/ abstract submission for our meetings). We also collect data about suppliers, partners and persons seeking a job or working in our company.
When do we collect personal data about you?
When you interact with us in person, through correspondence, by phone, by social media, or through our websites. We may collect personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest, and if this interest is not overridden by your privacy interests. Before data is collected we make sure an assessment is made, ensuring that there is an established mutual interest between you and Virology Education.
We may use your information for the following purposes:
• Send you marketing communications which you have requested. These may include information about our services, events, activities, and promotions. This communication is subscription based and requires your consent.
• Perform direct sales activities in cases where legitimate and mutual interest is established.
• Provide you content and venue details on an event for which you have registered and/or submitted an abstract.
• Reply to a ‘Can I help you?’, ‘Contact me’ or other web forms you have completed on our Virology Education website or one of our meeting websites.
• Follow up on incoming requests (emails, chats, or phone calls).
• Notify you about any disruptions to our services (system messages).
• Contact you to conduct surveys about your opinion on our services, events and activities.
• Process a job application.
Our legal basis for collecting personal data
Collecting personal data based on consent
The collection of personal data based on consent from the data subject will be done by using “Consent Forms” that will store documentation related to the consent given by the individual. Individual consents will always be stored and documented in our systems.
Collecting personal data based on contracts
We use personal information for fulfilling our obligations related to contracts and agreements with customers, partners and suppliers.
Collecting personal data based on legitimate interest
We may use personal data if it is considered to be of legitimate interest, and if the privacy interests of the data subjects do not override this interest. Normally, to establish the legal basis for data collection, an assessment has been made during which a mutual interest between Virology Education and the individual person has been identified. This legal basis is primarily related to our sales and marketing purposes. We will always inform individuals about their privacy rights and the purpose for collecting personal data.
What type of personal data is collected?
We collect name, titles, phone numbers and email addresses, in addition to your institution’s name and contact information. We may also collect feedback, comments and questions received from you in service-related communication and activities, such as meetings, phone calls, documents, and emails. From our websites we may collect IP-address and actions taken on the site.
If you apply for a job at Virology Education, we collect the data you provide during the application process.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We store personal data for as long as we find it necessary to fulfill the purpose for which the personal data was collected, while also considering our need to answer your queries or resolve possible problems, to comply with legal requirements under applicable laws, to attend to any legal claims/complaints, and for safeguarding purposes. For example, if you have registered for one of our events, your personal data will be retained by us for up to 12 months after the conclusion of the event.
We may retain your personal data for a reasonable period of time after your last interaction with us. When the personal data that we have collected is no longer required, we will delete it in a secure manner. We may process data for statistical purposes, but in such cases, data will be anonymized.
Your rights to your personal data
You have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
• The right to request a copy of your personal data that Virology Education holds about you.
• The right to request that Virology Education corrects your personal data if inaccurate or out of date.
• The right to request that your personal data is deleted when it is no longer necessary for Virology Education to retain such data.
• The right to withdraw any consent to personal data processing at any time. For example, your consent to receive newsletter communications:
• If you want to withdraw your consent to newsletters, please make use of the link to manage your subscriptions included in our communication.
• The right to request a restriction on further data processing, in case there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data.
• The right to object to the processing of personal data, in case data processing has been based on legitimate interest.
Any query about your Privacy Rights should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
This information is used to make websites work more efficiently, as well as to provide business and marketing information to the owners of the site, and to gather such personal data as browser type and operating system, referring page, path through site, domain of ISP, etc. for the purposes of understanding how visitors use a website. Cookies and similar technologies help us tailor our website to your personal needs, as well as to detect and prevent security threats and abuse.
On their own, cookies and web beacons do not allow us to access personal information other than what has already been stated, nor can they be used to personally identify you.
Do we share your data with anyone?
We do not share, sell, rent, or trade your information with any third parties without your consent, except from what is described below:
Third-party Service Providers working on our behalf:
We may pass your information on to our agents, sub-contractors and other associated organizations with the purpose of them providing services to you on our behalf. For example, your data will be shared with other organizations and third parties in order to process your registration and/or abstract submission in relation to one of our meetings.
Third-party Product Providers we work in association with:
These will include:
• Microsoft Azure Data Center
• Ogone online payment provider
• The meeting hotel if you choose to place a reservation
• Our travel agent if we book your flight
• The meeting shuttle service if we organize your transport
If required by law:
We will disclose your personal information if required by law or if we, as a company, reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our company’s rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process. However, we will do what we can to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.
Use of sub-contractors (processors and sub-processors)
If the sub-contractor processes Personal Data outside the EU/EEA area, such processing must be in accordance with the EU Privacy Shield Framework, EU Standard Contractual Clauses for transfer to third countries, or another specifically stated lawful basis for the transfer of personal data to a third country.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
Virology Education reserves the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time. The applicable version will always be found on our websites. We encourage you to check this Privacy Statement occasionally to ensure that you are satisfied with any changes.
If we make changes that significantly alter our privacy practices, we will notify you by email or post a notice on our websites prior to the change taking effect.